Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Déjà vu -- Darrel Arthur vs. Ozell Jones -- HS Transcript?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Déjà vu -- Darrel Arthur vs. Ozell Jones -- HS Transcript?

Interesting story is breaking on Channel 8 here in Dallas in regards to Darnell Arthur's high school transcript and questions as to his eligibility to compete in the state tournament when he was in high school. It is also questioning the possibility of the transcript impacting his college eligibility.

It reminds me so much of the problems that Ozell Jones had years ago.

Things are going to get interesting?

The full story will be broadcast later tonight, but the implication was that he may not have been eligible and that South Oak Cliff may have to forfeit the games that he played in during the state tournament.

Now this would not have any repercussions to KU and their National Championship would it?
    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Good thing this didn't happen to Darrel Arthur, that would be a bigger story.

/sarcasm
      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
      -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan
        Now this would not have any repercussions to KU and their National Championship would it?
        Just another slap on the wrist for KU. Unless they prove that KU did it. If the HS did it to get him eligible, then KU might not have known anything about it. (Which will be their story)

Comment

I don't know, but it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Was he an ineligible player on the college level? That is the question! Did they win the national championship with an ineligible player?

Comment

Correction: it is Darrel Arthur

I did make the correction on this subject of the thread.

Comment

Dallas television station WFAA is teasing a story set to air at 10 p.m. tonight about a former South Oak Cliff athlete — presumably KU basketball player Darrell Arthur — who may have benefited from improprieties in high school that helped him qualify for a college scholarship. “Some say he should’ve never even made it […]

Heres more

8) 8)
              I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

KU's proud history of cheating continues. Any given year you know they are cheating, it's just a matter of which player it involves.

Comment

Originally posted by ISASO
                  KU's proud history of cheating continues. Any given year you know they are cheating, it's just a matter of which player it involves.
                  You wish, buddy. Check the story. KU didn't do anything wrong. The NCAA Clearinghouse said he was eligible. End of story for KU. This might have ramifications for South Oak Cliff, but not for KU. The only possible way KU could be in trouble is if it is proven that we had anything to do with the changing of his grades, and KU didn't start recruiting him until late in the process, so I'm confident that won't happen.

The banner will still hang. Sorry guys.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkpl68bfCtM

Comment

Agreed. This one is not on KU, but it is on Arthur and yet another example of a player willling to break the rules in order to not face the natural consequences of his actions.

It is a character issue and youth is not an excuse. Cheating is cheating and even my 8 year-old could recognize that.

Comment

If he couldn't graduate high school, how did he get through 2 years of college?

Comment

Originally posted by Saulbadguy
                        If he couldn't graduate high school, how did he get through 2 years of college?
                        Oops! Saul, did you have to ask that question? ;-)
                        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Didn't WSU get punished in Ozell's case when he was not allowed to play with us anymore? I don't remember that we were found guilty about knowing of the transcript problem.

I realize the KU player is in the draft so another form of punishment is appropriate. WSU was certainly hurt by the NCAA in a similar circumstance.
                          In the fast lane

Comment

Originally posted by Indy23
                            You wish, buddy. Check the story. KU didn't do anything wrong. The NCAA Clearinghouse said he was eligible. End of story for KU. This might have ramifications for South Oak Cliff, but not for KU. The only possible way KU could be in trouble is if it is proven that we had anything to do with the changing of his grades, and KU didn't start recruiting him until late in the process, so I'm confident that won't happen.

I love phog.net groupthink. Aww shucks, we didn't do anything wrong.

14.1.2 Validity of Academic Credentials. As a condition and obligation of membership, it is the responsibility of a member institution to determine the validity of the information on which the eligibility of a student-athlete is based. Therefore, it is the responsibility of a member institution to determine whether a transcript is valid for purposes of applying appropriate NCAA legislation to the eligibility of a student-athlete when the institution receives notification, or otherwise has cause to believe, that a student-athlete's high school, preparatory school or two-year college transcript is not valid.

14.1.2.3.1 Institutional Responsibility. An institution is responsible for promptly reporting all discrepancies in information used in a student-athlete's initial-eligibility certification to the NCAA Eligibility Center. Discrepancies in information include, but are not limited to, corrections, additions, potential academic misconduct with regard to high schools attended, grades, completion of coursework or test scores. (Adopted: 4/27/06, Revised: 5/9/07)

14.11.4.2 Penalty for Ineligible Participation or Receipt of Improper Aid. A student-athlete who practices or competes in intercollegiate athletics and/or receives institutional financial assistance (based in some degree on athletics ability) while ineligible for such aid, practice or competition per Bylaw 14.3 shall be charged with the loss of one year of eligibility for practice and varsity competition for each year gained improperly. The student-athlete shall be declared ineligible at the time it is determined that eligibility was gained improperly. Prior to declaring the student-athlete ineligible, the institution may provide the student-athlete an opportunity for a hearing. The institution may appeal to the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement for a reduction in the period of ineligibility. (Revised: 4/26/01)

Comment

Originally posted by Saulbadguy
                              Originally posted by Indy23

I love phog.net groupthink. Aww shucks, we didn't do anything wrong.

14.1.2 Validity of Academic Credentials. As a condition and obligation of membership, it is the responsibility of a member institution to determine the validity of the information on which the eligibility of a student-athlete is based. Therefore, it is the responsibility of a member institution to determine whether a transcript is valid for purposes of applying appropriate NCAA legislation to the eligibility of a student-athlete when the institution receives notification, or otherwise has cause to believe, that a student-athlete's high school, preparatory school or two-year college transcript is not valid.

14.1.2.3.1 Institutional Responsibility. An institution is responsible for promptly reporting all discrepancies in information used in a student-athlete's initial-eligibility certification to the NCAA Eligibility Center. Discrepancies in information include, but are not limited to, corrections, additions, potential academic misconduct with regard to high schools attended, grades, completion of coursework or test scores. (Adopted: 4/27/06, Revised: 5/9/07)

14.11.4.2 Penalty for Ineligible Participation or Receipt of Improper Aid. A student-athlete who practices or competes in intercollegiate athletics and/or receives institutional financial assistance (based in some degree on athletics ability) while ineligible for such aid, practice or competition per Bylaw 14.3 shall be charged with the loss of one year of eligibility for practice and varsity competition for each year gained improperly. The student-athlete shall be declared ineligible at the time it is determined that eligibility was gained improperly. Prior to declaring the student-athlete ineligible, the institution may provide the student-athlete an opportunity for a hearing. The institution may appeal to the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement for a reduction in the period of ineligibility. (Revised: 4/26/01)

OOPS THERE IT IS!
                              I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Working...
                              X